Version updated on March 29, 2021
This Policy applies to our website, our online game portal (collectively, our “Sites”), our mobile applications (the “Applications”) and our physical escape room facilities (the “Locations.”). The rights and obligations described in this Policy do not, however, cover third party websites which may be linked to our Site(s) or which are mentioned on these Site(s). These third-party websites have their own privacy policies and we encourage you to read them carefully.
For the purposes of this Policy, by “Personal Information,” we mean any information which concerns a natural person and allows them to be identified or which, taken separately or combined with other data, allows a person to be identified. Generally, Personal Information does not include your business contact information such as your name, title, address, or work phone number.
By providing us with your Personal Information, you agree that it will be treated in accordance with this Policy. As a general rule, Défi-Évasion will obtain the necessary Personal Information directly from you, with your consent, subject to the exceptions provided by law.
In addition, by using our Sites and our Locations, as well as by accepting the Conditions of use specific to them, you agree that your Personal Information will be collected, used communicated, kept and secured in accordance with the applicable sections of this Policy.
Défi-Évasion will not collect, use or disclose Personal Information without your consent unless it is authorized or required to do so under applicable regulations. When required, Défi-Évasion may transmit your Personal Information to regulatory bodies with which it must collaborate, and which govern its activities. As an example, Défi-Évasion could have to proceed without your consent when, for reasons of fraud detection/prevention or for the application of the law, requesting the consent of the individual would hinder the process.
Refusal of collection and withdrawal of your consent
It is your right, if you so desire, to refuse the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information. You may also, at any time, and subject to reasonable notice and applicable legal or contractual restrictions, withdraw your consent to the use of Personal Information already collected by contacting our Privacy Officer. Please note, however, that if you choose not to provide us with your Personal Information, it may prevent you from registering, scheduling a game session, or purchasing our online games or any other product or service from us.
Note, however, that anonymized information, meaning information that does not allow you to be identified, will be kept.
Use for secondary purposes or for statistical profiling
Défi-Évasion may also ask for your consent for the use of your Personal Information for secondary or profiling purposes, for example to carry out market research or to supply its databases. As we mentioned earlier, we will ask for your consent in this regard. In addition, your consent for secondary purposes or profiling can be withdrawn at any time without affecting the provision of our services to you. For more information on this subject, we invite you to read the section Details on the collection, use and communication of data on our Sites using cookies and other social media features.
WHAT IS THE PERSONAL INFORMATION THAT WE COLLECT?
In the course of our activities and our provision of services, the Personal Information collected may include, without being limited to:
Your contact details, such as name, e-mail address, postal address or telephone number in order to identify and communicate with you;
Your login details such as a username and password;
Information relating to marketing and communication preferences such as comments or responses to surveys;
Information relating to the use of our Sites including technical information on visits or any other information collected through cookies or other similar tools. This information includes:
- The number of visits
- The conversion rate
- The average length of your visit
- Actions carried out on our Site
- The pages consulted during your visit
- The type of device used during your visit
- The web browser used during your visit
- The IP address used during your visit
- The origin of visitors, i.e., the web page you visited before being redirected to our Site
- The advertising campaign that brought you to our Site
Information used to interact with you during games at our Locations, such as real-time images captured by our cameras;
Information allowing us to ensure safety and prevent theft at our Locations, such as images from surveillance cameras at our physical facilities;
Any other personal information provided, including photos taken during game sessions at our Locations.
WHY DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information collected by Défi-Évasion will be used for the following purposes:
- To establish and manage our relationship with you;
- To provide the requested services and maintain them, including your souvenir photos;
- For research and development, statistical purposes and to improve the use of our Sites and your customer experience;
- To respond to your requests for information;
- To respond to your support requests;
- For business development and marketing, in particular to inform our current and future customers about our new offers, with the prior consent of the person concerned;
- To provide assistance while you are participating in our escape games, whether online or at one of our Locations;
- As permitted or required, for any applicable legal or regulatory obligation or provision;
- For any other purpose to which you have consented.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Défi-Évasion collects your Personal Information mainly from you, but also from third parties or by means of cookies or web beacons.
1. Through you
You provide Personal Information to us directly, including when you communicate with us, complete an online request form or click on an advertisement that we have placed on a third-party website (e.g., Google, Facebook, etc.)
2. From other sources
We may also collect Personal Information from third parties, or publicly accessible records as permitted by law or if we have obtained the necessary consent.
3. Through our chat tool
4. Using web beacons
Web beacons are tiny images that we may place on our web pages or e-mails. They can be used, for example, to obtain, anonymously, the number of times a particular page has been visited by an Internet user or whether an e-mail has been read. Web beacons are invisible and any part of our Sites, including any advertisements displayed on them, may contain web beacons. Unlike cookies, web beacons are not stored on your computer.
5. Using cookies
Cookies are small data files that are commonly stored on your device when using websites and online services. They are used for the efficient functioning of websites and can provide information and help personalize services. Défi-Évasion collects the information provided by cookies.
DETAILS ON MONITORING AT OUR LOCATIONS AND COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
The Locations, specifically the rooms where you play the escape games, are monitored by cameras. You will be filmed during your game session at our Locations. The surveillance of the premises not only ensures safety, security, and prevents theft, but it also allows us to interact with you and offer support during the game. Indeed, the real-time video allows Défi-Évasion staff to come and give participants a hand if they notice that you and your team seem to be at an impasse during one of the games.
Under no circumstances will Défi-Évasion use the Personal Information mentioned above for purposes other than those specified here.
DETAILS ON THE USE OF OUR APPLICATIONS AND COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
In order to enhance your experience and for the participation in certain online games, Défi-Évasion makes Applications available to you.
The Défi-Évasion At Home – Audio Application acts as voice recognition at specific times in the game, allowing you to progress or better understand the stage to be completed. Although this application requires access to your mobile device’s microphone, no personal information, such as your voice, will be collected. This is because the application uses the technology of your mobile device, namely Google Translate for Android devices and Apple Siri for iOS devices. However, the following information will be collected. (Please note, however, that they do not identify you and are in no way linked to your account on our Sites):
- Device type
- Date of use
- Usage time
- Text transcription of your voice command
For its part, the Défi-Évasion At Home – AR Application is a tool that allows you, at specific times in an online game, to see elements that are indistinguishable without the application. Although this application requires access to your mobile device’s camera, no personal information will be collected. This is because the camera is used to recognize specific images when you put your mobile device in front of the screen you are playing the online game with to obtain additional information. This process is known as augmented reality and is performed directly on your device and therefore no data is stored or shared with any third party.
DETAILS ON THE COLLECTION, USE AND COMMUNICATION OF DATA ON OUR SITES USING COOKIES AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA FEATURES
As mentioned in the previous sections, we may use various tools to improve your experience on our Sites, to better understand the behaviour of our customers, particularly in relation to our marketing strategies. The following section is intended to give you more information about our use of these tools and how we perform profiling, if applicable.
By using cookies and other similar technologies, we are able to provide you with advertising that better meets your needs, since it is targeted to your interests and preferences. When you visit our Sites, cookies tell us which pages you are interested in, among other things, and we can thus subsequently display advertising or recommendations that meet your interests.
These technologies do not contain any personally identifiable information. However, they may contain a unique identifier necessary for profiling. When you click on one of these ads, we may also track the response rate to the campaign.
Défi-Évasion uses different types of cookies (collectively called cookies here):
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential for the operation of our Sites. For example, we may use this type of cookie to authenticate and identify you when you are connected to our Sites in order to provide our services to you. These cookies also allow us to enforce our Terms of Service, prevent fraud and ensure the security of our services.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies are not essential to the provision of our services. They make it easy to customize and enhance the user experience. For example, they can remember your preferences and save you from having to re-enter information more than once. They allow us to understand your behaviour in order to improve our Sites.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies are not essential to the provision of our services. They use information about your visit to our Sites, such as pages viewed or response to advertisements, to help provide the best user experience.
- Secure cookies: These cookies are used to help protect your accounts from unauthorized users. They help maintain the integrity of the session and allow for increased security, preventing unauthorized attempts at accessing your account.
Défi-Évasion mainly uses two types of cookies:
- Session cookies: This type of cookie is remembered for the duration of your visit to our Sites, after which it is deleted from your device. It allows you to be identified and is subsequently deleted when you leave our Sites.
- Persistent cookie: This cookie is stored on your device until it expires, or is deleted by you, and will be retrieved the next time you visit our Sites. Our persistent cookies therefore have a variable duration.
Deactivation of cookies
You can prevent the personalization features of our Sites by disabling cookies on your browser. You can do this by changing the settings on your browser or mobile device.
However, if you choose to decline cookies, some pages or sections of our Sites may not display correctly, or some features may not be available.
Do other sites have access to the cookies when you browse our Sites?
We sometimes use third-party service providers.
Indeed, when you access our Sites, directly or through an advertisement that redirects you there, a cookie file is automatically created on your computer or mobile device. At this time, a web analysis tool (for example, Google Analytics) and possibly external ad servers have access to this cookie, which allows us to provide you with a better experience on our Sites or, in some cases, to track your activity to promote our products and services. Although a code in the cookie can identify you as a user, it does not recognize you by your name or address.
Our service providers may also need to collect your IP address or your mobile device ID when you visit a site. This information could be transmitted and stored on servers located in Canada or elsewhere, for example in the United States. Défi-Évasion does not combine any information collected by these third parties with information we hold about you. Please note, however, that some suppliers may be called upon to communicate the data collected to third parties in the event of a legal obligation or if they wish to entrust the processing of certain data to third parties. No information that would allow these suppliers to identify you is transmitted to them.
Please note that third-party service providers have their own cookies and privacy policies.
Use of Google Analytics
Défi-Évasion uses Google Analytics, which is provided by Google Inc. (Google), in order to analyze the browsing behaviour of visitors to our Sites. It is a tool for analyzing website traffic and use.
The information collected by Google Analytics is applied to analyze the use of our Sites and to produce statistical reports on visitor activities. You can get more information on Google Analytics information here.
Défi-Évasion also works with third-party advertising companies, such as Facebook or Google Adworks, which collect and use information about your visits to our Sites in order to present you with advertising that may be of interest to you. Défi-Évasion does not communicate any information allowing advertising companies to identify you.
You can deactivate Google Analytics while browsing by selecting the appropriate settings for your browser or computer tool, as well as the ad settings. You can also refuse to share your information with these third parties by installing an add-on and as such, refuse to receive targeted advertising.
Défi-Évasion also uses Facebook’s custom audience function to target advertising related to the interests of its current and potential customers. We invite you to verify your Facebook privacy settings if you want to manage your advertising settings. You can get more information on this topic here.
Note that, even if you choose not to receive targeted ads, it will still be possible to see Défi-Évasion advertisements. In this case, these will simply not be adapted to your actual needs and may be displayed more frequently.
Social media features
HOW DO WE COMMUNICATE AND SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
As part of our business, we must communicate and share your Personal Information with various stakeholders. We will only communicate or share your Personal Information as described below:
- Third-party agents and service providers: From time to time, we may need to communicate your Personal Information with agents or service providers to help us make all of the functionality of our Sites available (maintenance, analysis, legal requirements, fraud detection, marketing and development). Note that these may be located in Canada or in other jurisdictions or countries. They will only have access to Personal Information that is necessary to perform these tasks on our behalf and they are required not to disclose or use it for any other purpose. Please note that we have contractual agreements with these suppliers to ensure the security of your data.
- When required by law, to enforce regulations or to protect the property or the security of our rights or those of others: For example, we may disclose Personal Information to legal or regulatory authorities if we suspect money laundering activity, insider trading, manipulative or deceptive business practices, or other criminal activity, to detect and prevent fraud or to meet the requirements of laws or regulations of government agencies, regulatory bodies or other self-regulatory bodies. We may also be required to disclose Personal Information to comply with a legal obligation (for example, court order) or to protect our assets (for example, for the collection of overdue accounts).
- Anonymously: Personal information that is made anonymous may be communicated to third parties. For example, we could anonymize Personal Information in order to establish trends or statistics.
HOW LONG DO WE SAVE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal Information will be kept for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the identified purposes or for compliance with the legal requirements regarding retention periods. Thus, the retention period of your Personal Information will vary depending on the purpose of its use. We must destroy this information in accordance with the law and our record retention policy. When we destroy your Personal Information, we take the necessary steps to maintain its confidentiality and ensure that no unauthorized person can gain access to it during the destruction process.
Any user may request that their account be deleted by sending Défi-Évasion a request to do so by e-mail.
HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information is important to us. We strive to apply the necessary and appropriate security measures to ensure the confidentiality of Personal Information in our possession. To do this, we follow the standards generally accepted in the industry. The Personal Information we hold is therefore only accessible to persons who are qualified to review it and who consult it only when necessary in the performance of their duties.
Physical, technical and/or administrative protection and security measures have been put in place and are kept up to date in order to avoid:
- Any accidental destruction or destruction not in accordance with the laws;
- Any accidental loss;
- Any unauthorized disclosure;
- Any unauthorized modification;
- Any unauthorized access; and
- Any illegal processing.
To do this, we make sure, among other things, to restrict access to our offices and computer equipment, to train our staff and to require our agents and suppliers of goods and services with access to Personal Information to sign confidentiality agreements and to put in place security measures deemed equivalent.
If you believe that your Personal Information has been compromised, we invite you to contact us using the contact details listed in the “Questions, Comments, Complaints” section of this Policy.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
Access to your Personal Information, data and rectification
You have the right to know if we hold Personal Information about you and to view that Personal Information. You also have the right to ask questions about how this Information has been collected, used and stored and to whom it has been communicated.
You can obtain a copy of your Personal Information or have it corrected (if it is incorrect) by sending us a written request about this issue by e-mail.
We will send you such information or make the change diligently and no later than 30 days from the date of receipt of the written request. Reasonable fees may also be charged to process your request.
In certain situations, it may be impossible for Défi-Évasion to communicate all the Personal Information it has about you. The exceptions to access requirements are narrow and specific. Reasons for denying access are provided upon request.
These exceptions include information for which the cost to transmit is exorbitant, information containing details of other persons, the existence of legal, security or commercial reasons that prevent transmission of information and the fact that information is protected by professional secrecy or litigation secrecy.
LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES
CHANGES AND UPDATES TO THIS POLICY
Défi-Évasion may, at its discretion, update, revise, modify or add to this Policy from time to time. If a change is made to the Policy, you will be notified when you log in and/or we will send you a link to the new version of the Policy. The Policy and any related agreements, if any, will be posted on our Sites. Défi-Évasion asks its users to consult the amended Policy before continuing to use its services. If you decline the updated version of the Policy, you will be able to cancel your account.
The continued use of the services provided by Défi-Évasion after the entry into force of the amended Policy signifies consent to this amended Policy.
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, COMPLAINTS
Défi-Évasion has established procedures for receiving complaints and requests for information concerning its policies and Personal Information management practices.
Défi-Évasion will inform those who request information or file a complaint of the existence of the relevant procedures.
Défi-Évasion will investigate all complaints. If a complaint is deemed to be well founded, Défi-Évasion will take the appropriate measures including, if necessary, amending its policies and practices.
For any questions, requests for information, comments or complaints relating to your Personal Information, we invite you to contact our person responsible for the protection of Personal Information (Privacy Officer) at the following address:
2500 Jean-Perrin Street #150
Quebec City (Quebec) G2C 1X1